• Definitive 3CD celebration of one of the greatest and best-selling Christmas albums of all time, The Salsoul Orchestra’s ‘Christmas Jollies’ produced, arranged, and conducted by the legendary Vincent Montana, Jr. (MFSB, Goody Goody)!
• SoulMusic Records’ first joint release with popular re-issue site The Second Disc!
• 36 tracks comprising the original, hard-to-find 1976 mix of ‘Christmas Jollies’ and Tom Moulton’s complete 1992 remix plus producer Patrick Adams’ rare follow-up, Christmas Jollies II, and a whopping 11 bonus single versions and remixes!
• Key tracks include the holiday perennial ‘Merry Christmas All’ sung by Denise Montana, the merrily disco-fied ‘The Little Drummer Boy’ (a favorite of Parliament-Funkadelic’s George Clinton!), ‘You’re All I Want For Christmas’ performed by Inner Life’s Jocelyn Brown, and epic Christmas and New Year’s medleys!
• ‘Christmas Jollies’ features the Philadelphia soul sound of the original MFSB, including Norman Harris, The Trammps’ Earl Young, Larry Washington, Don Renaldo’s Horns and Strings, and The Sweethearts of Sigma!
• With mastering by Nick Robbins and artwork by Paul Belvois, a deluxe 24-page booklet includes photos, memorabilia, and a comprehensive essay by The Second Disc’s Joe Marchese drawing on new and archival quotes from Denise Montana, Vince Montana, Patrick Adams, The Salsoul Orchestra’s Bobby Eli, and others.
As a founding member of Philadelphia’s MFSB, vibraphonist Vincent Montana, Jr. played on countless hits by The O’Jays, Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, The Three Degrees, Billy Paul, and others. But Montana had a bigger vision: a full-fledged disco orchestra combining the soulful Philly sound with the infectious dance rhythms of Latin America.
The result was The Salsoul Orchestra, formed for the groundbreaking disco/dance label Salsoul Records by Montana and his MFSB bandmates. ‘Christmas Jollies’ is a lush, orchestral salute to the holiday that became the US’ biggest-selling Christmas album of 1976 and 1977, which inspired a 1981 sequel, produced by Patrick Adams, that took a more R&B-flavoured approach, with guest vocals from Salsoul recording artist Jocelyn Brown of Inner Life, Marian Rolle, and Wendell Morrison. After a hiatus, Salsoul Records relaunched in 1992. The revived label enlisted the renowned Tom Moulton, “Father of the Disco Mix”, to work his magic on ‘Christmas Jollies’, the result was a more club-oriented sound to the original album, and it’s Moulton’s mix that has been primarily available for the last three decades. ‘The Extra Jolly Edition’ presents Moulton’s mix in its 1992 2LP sequence which hasn’t yet appeared on CD.
DISC ONE: Christmas Jollies (Expanded Edition)
1 The Little Drummer Boy
2 Sleigh Ride
3 Silent Night
4 Merry Christmas All
5 Christmas Time
6 There’s Someone Who’s Knocking
7 Christmas Medley
8 New Year’s Medley
9 We Wish You a Merry Christmas (7” Version)
10 The Little Drummer Boy (7” Version)
11 Christmas Time (7” Version)
12 Christmas Time (a.k.a. Christmas Medley) (7 Version)
13 New Year’s Medley (Single Version)
14 Christmas Time (a.k.a. Christmas Medley) (12” Version)
DISC TWO: Christmas Jollies II (Expanded Edition)
1 You’re All I Want for Christmas
2 Deck the Halls
3 Joy to the World
4 The Salsoul Christmas Suite
5 God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
6 Joyful Spirit
7 Deck the Halls (7” Version)
8 The Salsoul Christmas Suite (7” Version)
DISC THREE: Christmas Jollies: A TOM MOULTON MIX (Expanded Edition)
1 Christmas Medley
2 The Little Drummer Boy
3 New Year’s Medley
4 Sleigh Ride
5 Merry Christmas All
6 There’s Someone Who’s Knocking
7 Silent Night
8 New Year’s Americana Suite
9 Christmas Medley (Part I)
10 Christmas Medley (Part II)
11 The Little Drummer Boy (DANK Remix)